I hope its not too long before we get some consistently good weather! I I keep sending positive vibes - only wearing summer clothes, driving with the window down - and making lots of granita of course!
Granita can be made without any fancy equipment, unlike a sorbet which requires churning, granita can be 'forked' every 30 minutes for the first two hours in the freezer.
It is so simple and easy, you can make it and cheat by using ready made juice, nobody will be any the wiser!
All you need is 2 ingredients! Orange Juice, and Sugar.
You can also add all sorts, such as juiced oranges, Grand Marnier, carraway or cumin for a kick!
Here is a simple recipe for granita -
750ml Orange Juice (You can even use an apple or berry juice instead)
1. Pour 200ml of juice and the sugar in to a pan, bring to the boil and stir for about a minute, until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Transfer the liquid straight away to a shallow dish or tray, and add the remainder of the cold juice, stirring well.
Being a professional chef for over a decade has meant I've picked up some tips along the way, which are not only useful in the trade, but also very helpful for success in your home kitchen.
Here are my 5 favourites:
1. Having a good set of knives (the best you can afford) can transform your skills in the kitchen. No one can chop well with a blunt knife so make sure you are always using sharp knives - you'll be much more efficient.
2. Preparation is key. Have your vegetables cut, ingredients weighed and sauces made before you start cooking.
3. Always taste as you go.
4. Clean as you go. It may seem like it's taking longer but you'll be so grateful when you've finished your meal not to have a huge pile of washing to be faced with!
5. After handling garlic, rub your hands on something stainless steel before washing. Try it on the side of your sink. It will remove the odour effectively and without the need for harsh chemicals.